This video will make you drive like a pro on a wet track
Yes, even when everybody else crashes on the Nurburgring you can have lots of fun
Driving fast on a dry track is fun, yet not so challenging as driving really fast (and safe) on wet tarmac, especially if we're talking about the Nurburgring. Here's how to do it.
The Nurburgring is one of the most challenging tracks out there, and even on a sunny day, you'd still have a couple of crashes. But what happens when it rains and drivers go from dry to soaking wet in a matter of seconds? Well, carnage ensues, as you will see in the video below.
But the same video will teach you what to do and what not to do when driving on a wet track. Just watch it in its entirety, because this is an 11-minutes crash course into how not to crash on the track.
- Learn to look far before you, to anticipate changes in weather and adapt your speed accordingly;
- Remember that a wet asphalt is twice as slippery as a dry road. Therefore you'll never be able to make the same maneuvers at similar speeds on wet vs dry tracks;
- Especially on a racing track, you have myriads of microscopic rubber particles, oil and unburned petrol that cover the asphalt. When raining, all these surface and create a much more slippery road than on a high-speed highway;
- Aquaplaning is a real threat during or even after a strong rain, as most likely you'll drive at much higher speeds than on a normal road;
- learn how to react when you lose traction; the video above shows how to do it
- SLOW THE HECK DOWN (yes, it comes down to that, actually)
Or, of course, you could ignore all of the above and drive like a maniac. Enjoy the outcome, then:
SEE SOME MORE ACTION: TOP 5 COMMON NURBURGRING MISTAKES AND HOW TO AVOID THEM